Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Loch Duich Hotel, Ardelve
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_109_1925
PLACENAME
Ardelve
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14140
KEYWORDS
hotel
Loch Duich Hotel, Ardelve

Loch Duich Hotel, originally the Aird Ferry Hotel, is situated near the settlement of Ardelve and has a particularly fine view of Eilean Donan Castle. Loch Alsh, Loch Long and Loch Duich meet close by. The Aird ferry crossed from Ardelve Point to the village of Dornie, providing a vital link between Lochalsh and Kintail, but it was replaced in the 1940s by a bridge. When the Dornie Bridge was officially opened in April, 1940, the dignitaries were entertained at this hotel. The ferroconcrete structure was itself replaced by a double carriageway road bridge in 1991 which bypassed the village of Dornie, and the original bridge was demolished.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Loch Duich Hotel, Ardelve

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

hotel

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Loch Duich Hotel, originally the Aird Ferry Hotel, is situated near the settlement of Ardelve and has a particularly fine view of Eilean Donan Castle. Loch Alsh, Loch Long and Loch Duich meet close by. The Aird ferry crossed from Ardelve Point to the village of Dornie, providing a vital link between Lochalsh and Kintail, but it was replaced in the 1940s by a bridge. When the Dornie Bridge was officially opened in April, 1940, the dignitaries were entertained at this hotel. The ferroconcrete structure was itself replaced by a double carriageway road bridge in 1991 which bypassed the village of Dornie, and the original bridge was demolished.