Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - demand for rates, 1961
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_107
DATE OF IMAGE
15 May 1961
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
1420
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
commercial fishing
salmon fishing
trout fishing
net fishing
taxation
local government
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - demand for rates, 1961

This document shows the rates set by the Inverness County Council for the twelve months to 15 May 1961. Addressed to James Banks in Perth, the rates refer to his house and 'stores' at Bayfield, Portree, Isle of Skye. The house was used during the summer months when Banks and his family were in Portree for the sea salmon season. His house was the base for the fisheries business during this time. The 'stores' referred to the large shed where the main supply boat the "Nereid" was kept and any smaller sheds which housed nets, smaller boats and other supplies over winter.


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - demand for rates, 1961

1960s

fishing industry; commercial fishing; salmon fishing; trout fishing; net fishing; taxation; local government

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd (documents)

This document shows the rates set by the Inverness County Council for the twelve months to 15 May 1961. Addressed to James Banks in Perth, the rates refer to his house and 'stores' at Bayfield, Portree, Isle of Skye. The house was used during the summer months when Banks and his family were in Portree for the sea salmon season. His house was the base for the fisheries business during this time. The 'stores' referred to the large shed where the main supply boat the "Nereid" was kept and any smaller sheds which housed nets, smaller boats and other supplies over winter.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>