Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Butt of Lewis Lighthouse
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_01_125_0235
PLACENAME
Butt of Lewis
DISTRICT
Lewis
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Barvas
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14222
KEYWORDS
lighthouses
transport
safety
shipping
Butt of Lewis Lighthouse

The Butt of Lewis lighthouse was built by David Stevenson in 1862. At the time, roads around Lewis were so bad that the building materials had to be brought in by boats. The red brick tower stands 37 metres high and its light has a range of 40 kilometres. It serves as a monitoring station for the automated lights on the Flannan Islands, North Rona and Sula Sgeir and is the radio control station for the North Minch area. The Butt of Lewis light was automated in March 1998 and is monitored by the Northern Lighthouse Board from Edinburgh.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Butt of Lewis Lighthouse

ROSS: Barvas

1970s

lighthouses; transport; safety; shipping

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Butt of Lewis lighthouse was built by David Stevenson in 1862. At the time, roads around Lewis were so bad that the building materials had to be brought in by boats. The red brick tower stands 37 metres high and its light has a range of 40 kilometres. It serves as a monitoring station for the automated lights on the Flannan Islands, North Rona and Sula Sgeir and is the radio control station for the North Minch area. The Butt of Lewis light was automated in March 1998 and is monitored by the Northern Lighthouse Board from Edinburgh.