Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Playhouse Cinema, Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_02_001_0002
PLACENAME
Fort William
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
1968
PERIOD
1960s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14245
KEYWORDS
cinemas
bingo halls
streets
Playhouse Cinema, Fort William

This photograph shows the former Playhouse Cinema in Fort William High Street. The cinema was built in 1930 in the Art Deco style and could seat 678. Latterly it was used as a Bingo Hall before its demolition.

A new two-screen Studio Cinema was built just off Cameron Square in 1986. It screened the rushes, or unedited footage, of locally filmed 'Braveheart' in 1996, and co-premiered 'Rob Roy' in 1995. It closed in 2006.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Playhouse Cinema, Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1960s

cinemas; bingo halls; streets

The Highland Council Planning Department

This photograph shows the former Playhouse Cinema in Fort William High Street. The cinema was built in 1930 in the Art Deco style and could seat 678. Latterly it was used as a Bingo Hall before its demolition.<br /> <br /> A new two-screen Studio Cinema was built just off Cameron Square in 1986. It screened the rushes, or unedited footage, of locally filmed 'Braveheart' in 1996, and co-premiered 'Rob Roy' in 1995. It closed in 2006.