Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cameron Square, Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_02_002_0018
PLACENAME
Fort William
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
August 1973
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14251
KEYWORDS
squares
museums
visitor centres
tourist information offices
tourist information centres
Cameron Square, Fort William

Cameron Square - formerly known as Church Square - is one of several squares leading off Fort William High Street. This picture was taken in 1973, after the dismantling of the impressive Kennedy Memorial but before the demolition of the Town Hall (centre) following a fire in 1975. The West Highland Museum is on the right of the image and a small Tourist Information Centre on the left.

Today, the Cameron Centre dominates Cameron Square, housing a large, busy Tourist Information Centre. The museum still occupies the building on the right, a converted bank dating from around 1835. A former chapel and flat to the left of the building have been incorporated into the museum. Exhibits include Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts, Jacobite relics, and tartan exhibitions.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cameron Square, Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1970s

squares; museums; visitor centres; tourist information offices; tourist information centres

The Highland Council Planning Department

Cameron Square - formerly known as Church Square - is one of several squares leading off Fort William High Street. This picture was taken in 1973, after the dismantling of the impressive Kennedy Memorial but before the demolition of the Town Hall (centre) following a fire in 1975. The West Highland Museum is on the right of the image and a small Tourist Information Centre on the left.<br /> <br /> Today, the Cameron Centre dominates Cameron Square, housing a large, busy Tourist Information Centre. The museum still occupies the building on the right, a converted bank dating from around 1835. A former chapel and flat to the left of the building have been incorporated into the museum. Exhibits include Neolithic and Bronze Age artefacts, Jacobite relics, and tartan exhibitions.