Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Old Railway Station, Fort William
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_02_002_0020
PLACENAME
Fort William
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
DATE OF IMAGE
1973
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14253
KEYWORDS
railway stations
railways
Old Railway Station, Fort William

The old railway station at Fort William stood west of Gordon Square, near the shore. It was a brick structure with stone detailing and leaded lights in the Glasgow Style. It was demolished in 1975 to make way for a new main road and a new station was erected on the edge of town.

The original station was built by engineers Forman & McCall as part of the West Highland Railway. The line opened in 1894 and in the following year a connecting spur to Banavie was completed. The Mallaig extension opened in 1901.

Before motorcars, the railway at Fort William was the main link to the south and uniformed porters employed by hotels in the town would await guests, to transport their luggage.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Old Railway Station, Fort William

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1970s

railway stations; railways

The Highland Council Planning Department

The old railway station at Fort William stood west of Gordon Square, near the shore. It was a brick structure with stone detailing and leaded lights in the Glasgow Style. It was demolished in 1975 to make way for a new main road and a new station was erected on the edge of town. <br /> <br /> The original station was built by engineers Forman & McCall as part of the West Highland Railway. The line opened in 1894 and in the following year a connecting spur to Banavie was completed. The Mallaig extension opened in 1901.<br /> <br /> Before motorcars, the railway at Fort William was the main link to the south and uniformed porters employed by hotels in the town would await guests, to transport their luggage.