Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Carved stone at Trumpan Church, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_02_030_0848
PLACENAME
Trumpan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14413
KEYWORDS
gravestone
graveslab
Carved stone at Trumpan Church, Skye

This late mediaeval carved grave slab is within the graveyard surrounding the ruins of Trumpan Church on the western side of the Waternish peninsula on Skye. It appears to show a tonsured cleric in low relief, his hands in an attitude of prayer.

It is possible that Trumpan church dates from as early as the 1300s. It became a ruin in the 1500s during the bitter clan rivalry between the MacDonalds and the Macleods. In 1577 a raiding party of Macleods landed on Eigg and the island's population of MacDonalds took refuge in a cave. The Macleod party lit a fire at the cave entrance and nearly 400 MacDonalds were suffocated. In May of the following year a party of MacDonalds landed on Skye while the Macleods were at church in Trumpan. The church door was blocked and the thatched roof was set alight. One young girl managed to escape and raise the alarm. More local Macleods went after the MacDonald raiding party and killed them in a short battle. The bodies of the MacDonalds were piled by a stone dyke and the dyke used to cover them. The battle became known as The Battle of the Spoiled Dyke.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Carved stone at Trumpan Church, Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1970s

gravestone; graveslab

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This late mediaeval carved grave slab is within the graveyard surrounding the ruins of Trumpan Church on the western side of the Waternish peninsula on Skye. It appears to show a tonsured cleric in low relief, his hands in an attitude of prayer.<br /> <br /> It is possible that Trumpan church dates from as early as the 1300s. It became a ruin in the 1500s during the bitter clan rivalry between the MacDonalds and the Macleods. In 1577 a raiding party of Macleods landed on Eigg and the island's population of MacDonalds took refuge in a cave. The Macleod party lit a fire at the cave entrance and nearly 400 MacDonalds were suffocated. In May of the following year a party of MacDonalds landed on Skye while the Macleods were at church in Trumpan. The church door was blocked and the thatched roof was set alight. One young girl managed to escape and raise the alarm. More local Macleods went after the MacDonald raiding party and killed them in a short battle. The bodies of the MacDonalds were piled by a stone dyke and the dyke used to cover them. The battle became known as The Battle of the Spoiled Dyke.