Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Waiting for the ferry at Glenelg
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_02_041_1198
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14463
KEYWORDS
Kylerhea Ferry
droving
Glenelg Ferry
piers
slipways
jetty
jetties
Waiting for the ferry at Glenelg

The ferry slipway pictured here is on the mainland side of the Kylerhea Narrows between Glenelg and Kylerhea on Skye. The two shores are only about 500 metres apart.

The tides here have immense power due to the constriction of the channel but at one time, hundreds of cattle from Skye and the Western Isles were swum across when the tide was slack. They would then continue on to trysts (markets) in the south. The dressed whinstone slipway incorporates a rare cattle droving ramp, about 27 metres by 6 metres. This is orientated at right angles to the slipway and laid with roughly coursed cobbles.



The ferry is the earliest crossing point to Skye and was well established by the time Johnson and Boswell visited the area in 1773. The slipways were built by Thomas Telford around 1820. The large whinstone blocks laid in courses which shelve into the water and were paved with stone setts, now covered with concrete. The ferry was in frequent use until the railway was built to Kyle in 1897. The amount of traffic reduced considerably and when the ferry boat was wrecked around 1914 it was not immediately replaced. A car ferry service was introduced in 1930 and there is still a popular small community-run car ferry here in summer transporting six cars at a time for those wishing to cross 'over the sea' to Skye and avoid the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Waiting for the ferry at Glenelg

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1970s

Kylerhea Ferry; droving; Glenelg Ferry; piers; slipways; jetty; jetties

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The ferry slipway pictured here is on the mainland side of the Kylerhea Narrows between Glenelg and Kylerhea on Skye. The two shores are only about 500 metres apart.<br /> <br /> The tides here have immense power due to the constriction of the channel but at one time, hundreds of cattle from Skye and the Western Isles were swum across when the tide was slack. They would then continue on to trysts (markets) in the south. The dressed whinstone slipway incorporates a rare cattle droving ramp, about 27 metres by 6 metres. This is orientated at right angles to the slipway and laid with roughly coursed cobbles.<br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> The ferry is the earliest crossing point to Skye and was well established by the time Johnson and Boswell visited the area in 1773. The slipways were built by Thomas Telford around 1820. The large whinstone blocks laid in courses which shelve into the water and were paved with stone setts, now covered with concrete. The ferry was in frequent use until the railway was built to Kyle in 1897. The amount of traffic reduced considerably and when the ferry boat was wrecked around 1914 it was not immediately replaced. A car ferry service was introduced in 1930 and there is still a popular small community-run car ferry here in summer transporting six cars at a time for those wishing to cross 'over the sea' to Skye and avoid the bridge at Kyle of Lochalsh.