Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Achnacarry Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_015_0316
PLACENAME
Achnacarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmallie
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14553
KEYWORDS
Achnacarry House
Achnacarry Castle

Achnacarry Castle, situated between Loch Long and Loch Lochy, has been the seat of the Camerons of Lochiel since the 1660s. The original building was destroyed in 1746 by men under the command of Captain George Munro of Culcairn as a penalty for Lochiel's part in the '45. Construction of the new house, designed by James Gillespie Graham, began in 1802 but was not completed until 1835-7.

During World War II the house and grounds were used as a training centre for British Commandos, US Rangers and soldiers of other allied armies

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Achnacarry Castle

INVERNESS: Kilmallie

1970s

Achnacarry House

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Achnacarry Castle, situated between Loch Long and Loch Lochy, has been the seat of the Camerons of Lochiel since the 1660s. The original building was destroyed in 1746 by men under the command of Captain George Munro of Culcairn as a penalty for Lochiel's part in the '45. Construction of the new house, designed by James Gillespie Graham, began in 1802 but was not completed until 1835-7.<br /> <br /> During World War II the house and grounds were used as a training centre for British Commandos, US Rangers and soldiers of other allied armies