Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cottages, Invergarry
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_027_0674
PLACENAME
Invergarry
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14597
KEYWORDS
cottage
village
Cottages, Invergarry

Originally a drovers' rest and staging post, Invergarry now sits at the junction of the A82 where a high bridge built in 1932 spans the River Garry and the A87 heads west to Kyle of Lochalsh. Most of the village lies along this latter road, including these attractive cottages dating from 1872 and the Glengarry Parish Church.

From the early 17th century, the area was the preserve of the MacDonnells. They lived at Invergarry Castle until the estate was purchased by the Ellice family in the mid-19th century. They built Invergarry House, now the Glengarry Castle Hotel, close to the ruins of the original Castle and overlooking Loch Oich.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cottages, Invergarry

INVERNESS: Kilmonivaig

1970s

cottage; village

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Originally a drovers' rest and staging post, Invergarry now sits at the junction of the A82 where a high bridge built in 1932 spans the River Garry and the A87 heads west to Kyle of Lochalsh. Most of the village lies along this latter road, including these attractive cottages dating from 1872 and the Glengarry Parish Church.<br /> <br /> From the early 17th century, the area was the preserve of the MacDonnells. They lived at Invergarry Castle until the estate was purchased by the Ellice family in the mid-19th century. They built Invergarry House, now the Glengarry Castle Hotel, close to the ruins of the original Castle and overlooking Loch Oich.