Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tweedmouth Memorial Fountain, Tomich
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_032_0809
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14620
KEYWORDS
fountains
monuments
memorials
dogs
Tweedmouth Memorial Fountain, Tomich

Lord Tweedmouth was a 19th century lord who owned Guisachan House by the village of Tomich. He is credited with the creation of the Golden Retriever dog through a selective breeding process. A fountain was erected in his memory by his children and has sculpted portraits of himself and his wife, each with a dog's head underneath. The inscription on the fountain reads:

'To the memory of Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, 1st Lord of Tweedmouth, born 29th December 1820, died 4th March 1894, who lived at Guisachan from 1854 until his death, who built the village of Tomich and whose passion was the discovery and development of the district, and also to the memory of Isabel, Lady Tweedmouth, who was a mother to all those on the estate of Guisachan from 1854 to 1905 .This fountain is erected by their children Edward 2nd Lord Tweedmouth and Ishbel Countess of Aberdeen.'

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tweedmouth Memorial Fountain, Tomich

1970s

fountains; monuments; memorials; dogs

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Lord Tweedmouth was a 19th century lord who owned Guisachan House by the village of Tomich. He is credited with the creation of the Golden Retriever dog through a selective breeding process. A fountain was erected in his memory by his children and has sculpted portraits of himself and his wife, each with a dog's head underneath. The inscription on the fountain reads:<br /> <br /> 'To the memory of Sir Dudley Coutts Marjoribanks, 1st Lord of Tweedmouth, born 29th December 1820, died 4th March 1894, who lived at Guisachan from 1854 until his death, who built the village of Tomich and whose passion was the discovery and development of the district, and also to the memory of Isabel, Lady Tweedmouth, who was a mother to all those on the estate of Guisachan from 1854 to 1905 .This fountain is erected by their children Edward 2nd Lord Tweedmouth and Ishbel Countess of Aberdeen.'