Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Harbour, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_046_0107
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14651
KEYWORDS
houses
harbours
piers
jetties
Portree Harbour, Skye

This photograph of the slipway at Portree was taken from the pier in the 1970s. Douglas Row is on the left. The Telford-designed quay was originally built in the 1820s. It was later extended and then extensively refurbished in 1902 when a new timber pier was added. Offices and stores were added at the same time. These developments improved the facilities for the increasing amount of traffic that was using the harbour.

Until the late 1950s, steamers arrived daily during the summer months, bringing with them passengers, cargo and mail. However, with the gradual upgrading of roads throughout the island, the pier became less important for the town, and the island's, transport links.

Over the years the pier has seen very busy times with herring fleets packed into the harbour. There still is a small commercial fishing industry out of Portree but there are far fewer boats than in past years. However because of its sheltered position, the harbour provides a good mooring for yachts and pleasure craft and is still bustling in the summer months.

The 1970s extension to the Royal Hotel in the background, replacing part of the original building after a fire in 1963, contrasts with the more genteel Georgian houses of Beaumont Crescent below.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Harbour, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1970s

houses; harbours; piers; jetties

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This photograph of the slipway at Portree was taken from the pier in the 1970s. Douglas Row is on the left. The Telford-designed quay was originally built in the 1820s. It was later extended and then extensively refurbished in 1902 when a new timber pier was added. Offices and stores were added at the same time. These developments improved the facilities for the increasing amount of traffic that was using the harbour. <br /> <br /> Until the late 1950s, steamers arrived daily during the summer months, bringing with them passengers, cargo and mail. However, with the gradual upgrading of roads throughout the island, the pier became less important for the town, and the island's, transport links. <br /> <br /> Over the years the pier has seen very busy times with herring fleets packed into the harbour. There still is a small commercial fishing industry out of Portree but there are far fewer boats than in past years. However because of its sheltered position, the harbour provides a good mooring for yachts and pleasure craft and is still bustling in the summer months.<br /> <br /> The 1970s extension to the Royal Hotel in the background, replacing part of the original building after a fire in 1963, contrasts with the more genteel Georgian houses of Beaumont Crescent below.