Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Portree Harbour, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_046_0122
PLACENAME
Portree
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14653
KEYWORDS
houses
harbours
towers
Portree Harbour, Skye

Douglas Row was constructed along Quay Street (originally Shore Street), overlooking the harbour. The buildings are now painted in a series of cheery colours which makes them a recognisable feature of the harbour area.

The grassy hill behind is 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage'. It appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly referred to now as 'The Lump'. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald.

The Skye Gathering Hall, pictured on the right, features crow-stepped gables. Completed in 1879 as a venue for the annual balls, the stone was quarried from the hill behind. This created an amphitheatre which became an ideal location for the town's Highland Games.

Protected from the wind on all sides, Portree has one of the most sheltered harbours on the west coast. However, it was in the 1820s when a pier was constructed. A quay was built from the lower end of the slope leading to the village and a short extension was added in the latter half of the 19th century. This was extensively refurbished in 1902.

The harbour was the scene of much activity, especially during the herring fishing season when hundreds of boats were based there, and the pier also catered for an increasing volume of passenger steamers, cargo vessels and puffers, with a mail boat arriving daily in the summer. As roads improved, opportunities to travel by sea became more limited.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Portree Harbour, Skye

INVERNESS: Portree

1970s

houses; harbours; towers

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Douglas Row was constructed along Quay Street (originally Shore Street), overlooking the harbour. The buildings are now painted in a series of cheery colours which makes them a recognisable feature of the harbour area. <br /> <br /> The grassy hill behind is 'Meall na h-Acairsaid' or 'hill of the anchorage'. It appears on some old maps as Fancy Hill, although is more commonly referred to now as 'The Lump'. Fancy Hill may derive from the gardens of trees and shrubs apparently laid out in the 1830s by Dr Alexander MacLeod, factor to Sir Godfrey Macdonald. <br /> <br /> The Skye Gathering Hall, pictured on the right, features crow-stepped gables. Completed in 1879 as a venue for the annual balls, the stone was quarried from the hill behind. This created an amphitheatre which became an ideal location for the town's Highland Games.<br /> <br /> Protected from the wind on all sides, Portree has one of the most sheltered harbours on the west coast. However, it was in the 1820s when a pier was constructed. A quay was built from the lower end of the slope leading to the village and a short extension was added in the latter half of the 19th century. This was extensively refurbished in 1902. <br /> <br /> The harbour was the scene of much activity, especially during the herring fishing season when hundreds of boats were based there, and the pier also catered for an increasing volume of passenger steamers, cargo vessels and puffers, with a mail boat arriving daily in the summer. As roads improved, opportunities to travel by sea became more limited.