Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Lighthouse, Rona
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_049_0205
PLACENAME
Rona
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14662
KEYWORDS
South Rona Lighthouse
lighthouses
Lighthouse, Rona

The Isle of Rona lies to the north of Raasay and northeast of Skye. It is sometimes known as South Rona to distinguish it from Rona (also with a lighthouse) at the northern end of the Outer Hebrides. The island has had no permanent population since the 1920s although it is popular as a remote holiday destination.

The lighthouse, operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board, is situated at the northern tip of the island and marks the entrances to the Sound of Raasay to the west and the Inner Sound to the east. It was constructed by David and Thomas Stevenson and has been in operation since 1857. It was automated in 1975.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Lighthouse, Rona

INVERNESS: Portree

1970s

South Rona Lighthouse; lighthouses

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Isle of Rona lies to the north of Raasay and northeast of Skye. It is sometimes known as South Rona to distinguish it from Rona (also with a lighthouse) at the northern end of the Outer Hebrides. The island has had no permanent population since the 1920s although it is popular as a remote holiday destination. <br /> <br /> The lighthouse, operated by the Northern Lighthouse Board, is situated at the northern tip of the island and marks the entrances to the Sound of Raasay to the west and the Inner Sound to the east. It was constructed by David and Thomas Stevenson and has been in operation since 1857. It was automated in 1975.