Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kylerhea Ferry, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_050_0218
PLACENAME
Kylerhea
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14664
KEYWORDS
ferries
slipways
Glenelg Ferry
Kylerhea Ferry, Skye

This is the slipway at Kylerhea, on the Isle of Skye. A ferry has crossed between here and Glenelg, on the mainland, since at least the early 18th century. The two shores are only about 500 metres apart which means the tide has immense power but at one time, hundreds of cattle from Skye and the Western Isles were swum across at slack tide following the drove road to trysts (markets) in the south.

The slipways were built by Thomas Telford around 1820 with the large whinstone blocks laid in courses which shelve into the water. These were paved with stone setts which have since been covered with concrete. The ferry was in frequent use until the railway was built to Kyle in 1897. The amount of traffic then reduced considerably and when the ferry boat was wrecked around 1914, it was not immediately replaced. A car ferry service was introduced in 1930 and there is still a small community-run car ferry here in summer for those wishing to cross 'over the sea' to Skye.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kylerhea Ferry, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

1970s

ferries; slipways; Glenelg Ferry

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This is the slipway at Kylerhea, on the Isle of Skye. A ferry has crossed between here and Glenelg, on the mainland, since at least the early 18th century. The two shores are only about 500 metres apart which means the tide has immense power but at one time, hundreds of cattle from Skye and the Western Isles were swum across at slack tide following the drove road to trysts (markets) in the south. <br /> <br /> The slipways were built by Thomas Telford around 1820 with the large whinstone blocks laid in courses which shelve into the water. These were paved with stone setts which have since been covered with concrete. The ferry was in frequent use until the railway was built to Kyle in 1897. The amount of traffic then reduced considerably and when the ferry boat was wrecked around 1914, it was not immediately replaced. A car ferry service was introduced in 1930 and there is still a small community-run car ferry here in summer for those wishing to cross 'over the sea' to Skye.