Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Pier at Isleornsay, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_050_0220
PLACENAME
Isleornsay
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Sleat
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Highland Council Planning Dept.
ASSET ID
14665
KEYWORDS
piers, harbours
Pier at Isleornsay, Skye

Isleornsay is a tidal island close to the shore on the eastern side of the south of Skye. The village of the same name was founded in the early 19th century and provided a protected harbour for fishing vessels as well as a commercial centre for the area. Also known as Eilean Iarmain, the buildings and the quay pictured date from 1805. They include a general store, former stables, a grain store and an inn (now a hotel). Most of the buildings were bought by Sir Iain Noble in 1972 and were then restored or converted, forming the hub of his aims of revitalising Gaelic language and culture.

The lighthouse on Eilean Sionnach (extreme right) was built in 1857. The lighthouse cottage, like the more northerly ones on Eilean Ban near Kyle of Lochalsh, was once owned by Gavin Maxwell. Ornsay light was built by David Stevenson to guard the southern approach to the Sound of Sleat. It began operating on 10 November 1857 using Thomas Stevenson's 'condensing' apparatus to display different strengths of light in different directions. It was converted to gas operation in 1898 and automated in 1962.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Pier at Isleornsay, Skye

INVERNESS: Sleat

1970s

piers, harbours

Highland Council Planning Dept.

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Isleornsay is a tidal island close to the shore on the eastern side of the south of Skye. The village of the same name was founded in the early 19th century and provided a protected harbour for fishing vessels as well as a commercial centre for the area. Also known as Eilean Iarmain, the buildings and the quay pictured date from 1805. They include a general store, former stables, a grain store and an inn (now a hotel). Most of the buildings were bought by Sir Iain Noble in 1972 and were then restored or converted, forming the hub of his aims of revitalising Gaelic language and culture. <br /> <br /> The lighthouse on Eilean Sionnach (extreme right) was built in 1857. The lighthouse cottage, like the more northerly ones on Eilean Ban near Kyle of Lochalsh, was once owned by Gavin Maxwell. Ornsay light was built by David Stevenson to guard the southern approach to the Sound of Sleat. It began operating on 10 November 1857 using Thomas Stevenson's 'condensing' apparatus to display different strengths of light in different directions. It was converted to gas operation in 1898 and automated in 1962.