Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Uig Pier, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_03_057_0354
PLACENAME
Uig
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14721
KEYWORDS
crofts
village
Uig Pier, Skye

The ferry terminal and the activities surrounding it are the main focus of Uig today, but the village has strong crofting traditions as well as being well known as a fishing port. Uig (from the norse ' vik ', meaning a bay) has an enviable setting on the curving slopes of Uig Bay. There was a pier in Uig by 1840, and in 1894 it was greatly extended at a cost of £9000. King Edward Vll and Queen Alexandra 'officially' opened the new pier on 1 September 1902, and a commemorative memorial to the event stands near to what is now the car park. In earlier years, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which continue today.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Uig Pier, Skye

INVERNESS: Snizort

1970s

crofts; village

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The ferry terminal and the activities surrounding it are the main focus of Uig today, but the village has strong crofting traditions as well as being well known as a fishing port. Uig (from the norse ' vik ', meaning a bay) has an enviable setting on the curving slopes of Uig Bay. There was a pier in Uig by 1840, and in 1894 it was greatly extended at a cost of £9000. King Edward Vll and Queen Alexandra 'officially' opened the new pier on 1 September 1902, and a commemorative memorial to the event stands near to what is now the car park. In earlier years, steamers plying between Glasgow and Stornoway made regular stops in Uig, and in 1964 Caledonian MacBrayne started its regular sailings to the Isle of Harris and North Uist, which continue today.