Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
The harbour at Kyle of Lochalsh, 1970s
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_008_0829
PLACENAME
Kyle of Lochalsh
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14817
KEYWORDS
piers
harbours
railway stations
ferries
The harbour at Kyle of Lochalsh, 1970s

A shoreline view of Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1980s. A ferry can be seen crossing from Kyleakin, on the Isle of Skye.

The station, close to the end of the railway pier, is just visible behind rolling stock. The terminus was opened at Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897 and having the station at the harbour meant this area was always a hive of activity. The station itself was built by Murdoch Paterson and is approached from the village by a long ramped roadway.

The pier was also used by fishing boats and was a regular port of call for steamers on the west coast route from Glasgow to the Western Isles. The area, with an additional pier, was also a base for the herring industry with its ancillary fish processing buildings and accommodation for transient workers.

During World War II, the area pictured was used by the military for the transportation of ammunition and personnel. Loch Alsh provided the deep water required for ships while the railway allowed for easy access to and from the rest of the country. Kyle of Lochalsh was named HMS Trelawney at the time and it was from here that all the mine-laying for the entire British fleet was carried out. The Royal Navy still has an interest here with the presence of BUTEC (British Underwater Test and Evaluation Centre) which runs torpedo and sonar trials in the deep-water channels round Skye and Raasay.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

The harbour at Kyle of Lochalsh, 1970s

ROSS: Lochalsh

1970s

piers; harbours; railway stations; ferries

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

A shoreline view of Kyle of Lochalsh in the 1980s. A ferry can be seen crossing from Kyleakin, on the Isle of Skye.<br /> <br /> The station, close to the end of the railway pier, is just visible behind rolling stock. The terminus was opened at Kyle of Lochalsh in 1897 and having the station at the harbour meant this area was always a hive of activity. The station itself was built by Murdoch Paterson and is approached from the village by a long ramped roadway.<br /> <br /> The pier was also used by fishing boats and was a regular port of call for steamers on the west coast route from Glasgow to the Western Isles. The area, with an additional pier, was also a base for the herring industry with its ancillary fish processing buildings and accommodation for transient workers.<br /> <br /> During World War II, the area pictured was used by the military for the transportation of ammunition and personnel. Loch Alsh provided the deep water required for ships while the railway allowed for easy access to and from the rest of the country. Kyle of Lochalsh was named HMS Trelawney at the time and it was from here that all the mine-laying for the entire British fleet was carried out. The Royal Navy still has an interest here with the presence of BUTEC (British Underwater Test and Evaluation Centre) which runs torpedo and sonar trials in the deep-water channels round Skye and Raasay.