Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
"Odysseus" at Kishorn Yard
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_008_0838
PLACENAME
unidentified
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14822
KEYWORDS
"Odysseus" at Kishorn Yard

The Odysseus, in use as an accommodation ship and moored adjacent to the Howard Doris fabrication yard on the north side of Loch Kishorn, Ross and Cromarty. She arrived at the site in 1976.

The Odysseus was built in 1938 as the overnight ferry Leinster, for service between Liverpool and Dublin. Later, she was refitted to become the Ulster Prince on the Liverpool-Belfast route. She was sold in 1967, being bought by Epirotiki Lines and appeared in service as the Odysseus. Finally, she was broken up at Faslane in 1980.

The Kishorn Yard was developed in the 1970s as a manufacturing and fabrication yard for oil platforms. It was owned by Howard Doris Ltd and operated from 1975 to 1987. In 1975 work began on the north side of Loch Kishorn to develop a substantial site to build up the Ninian Central Platform. Upon completion, the platform weighed around 600,000 tonnes making it, at the time, the largest man-made moveable object ever built. It required seven tugs to tow it to its North Sea location.

By 1977 there were over 3,000 people working at the yard. Owing to planning and travel constraints the yard was to be considered as an island and all materials and people were to be brought in and out by sea or air. The Skye Bridge began construction in 1992 and the two caissons that support the structure were formed in the Kishorn dry dock, the final time it would be used.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

"Odysseus" at Kishorn Yard

1970s

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Odysseus, in use as an accommodation ship and moored adjacent to the Howard Doris fabrication yard on the north side of Loch Kishorn, Ross and Cromarty. She arrived at the site in 1976. <br /> <br /> The Odysseus was built in 1938 as the overnight ferry Leinster, for service between Liverpool and Dublin. Later, she was refitted to become the Ulster Prince on the Liverpool-Belfast route. She was sold in 1967, being bought by Epirotiki Lines and appeared in service as the Odysseus. Finally, she was broken up at Faslane in 1980.<br /> <br /> The Kishorn Yard was developed in the 1970s as a manufacturing and fabrication yard for oil platforms. It was owned by Howard Doris Ltd and operated from 1975 to 1987. In 1975 work began on the north side of Loch Kishorn to develop a substantial site to build up the Ninian Central Platform. Upon completion, the platform weighed around 600,000 tonnes making it, at the time, the largest man-made moveable object ever built. It required seven tugs to tow it to its North Sea location. <br /> <br /> By 1977 there were over 3,000 people working at the yard. Owing to planning and travel constraints the yard was to be considered as an island and all materials and people were to be brought in and out by sea or air. The Skye Bridge began construction in 1992 and the two caissons that support the structure were formed in the Kishorn dry dock, the final time it would be used.<br /> <br />