Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
K & M Falconer Butcher and Badenoch Bakery
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_010_0887
PLACENAME
Newtonmore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
22 June 1976
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14833
KEYWORDS
badenochshops
K & M Falconer Butcher and Badenoch Bakery

This photograph shows the shops of K & M Falconer's butchers and the Badenoch Bakery, owned by JD Snedden.

Situated on the River Spey, Newtonmore is a village in the south of Badenoch and Strathspey. There are no records of Newtonmore before the beginning of the 19th Century. In 1756 a new bridge was built over the River Spey and a small collection of houses grew up by the new crossing. Numbers increased in the early 1800s during the Highland Clearances. Also in the 1800s, Newtonmore benefited from being included on the main routes from Kingussie to Fort William and from Perth to Inverness. In the 1860s, the railway station opened bringing visitors and business.

In more recent years some people have become concerned over the increasing number of holiday homes and the closure of local shops and businesses.

Newtonmore is one of the villages used in the shooting of the BBC television drama, 'Monarch of the Glen'.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

K & M Falconer Butcher and Badenoch Bakery

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

1970s

badenochshops

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This photograph shows the shops of K & M Falconer's butchers and the Badenoch Bakery, owned by JD Snedden.<br /> <br /> Situated on the River Spey, Newtonmore is a village in the south of Badenoch and Strathspey. There are no records of Newtonmore before the beginning of the 19th Century. In 1756 a new bridge was built over the River Spey and a small collection of houses grew up by the new crossing. Numbers increased in the early 1800s during the Highland Clearances. Also in the 1800s, Newtonmore benefited from being included on the main routes from Kingussie to Fort William and from Perth to Inverness. In the 1860s, the railway station opened bringing visitors and business.<br /> <br /> In more recent years some people have become concerned over the increasing number of holiday homes and the closure of local shops and businesses.<br /> <br /> Newtonmore is one of the villages used in the shooting of the BBC television drama, 'Monarch of the Glen'.