Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kinloch Anderson, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_012_0973
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
22 June 1976
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14866
KEYWORDS
shops
Kinloch Anderson, Kingussie

The Kinloch Anderson Company was founded in 1868 in Edinburgh and became known throughout the country as specialists in Highland Dress. The business continued to thrive and today sells high quality tartans, tweeds and other accessories throughout the world. A family business, the company is now managed by the fifth and sixth generations of Kinloch Andersons.

Kingussie is a small town found in the upper Spey Valley of Badenoch and Strathspey. The name comes from the Gaelic 'Ceann a' Ghiuthsaich' which means 'head of the pine forest'. The original settlement, surrounded by a pine forest, was created a Burgh of Barony in 1464. It was redesigned as a planned village by the Duke of Gordon in 1799.

Tourism and local business were given a boost with the coming of the railway in the 1860s and a golf course was opened in 1890. The Camanachd Association, which governs shinty in Scotland, was form in Kingussie in 1893.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kinloch Anderson, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

1970s

shops

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Kinloch Anderson Company was founded in 1868 in Edinburgh and became known throughout the country as specialists in Highland Dress. The business continued to thrive and today sells high quality tartans, tweeds and other accessories throughout the world. A family business, the company is now managed by the fifth and sixth generations of Kinloch Andersons.<br /> <br /> Kingussie is a small town found in the upper Spey Valley of Badenoch and Strathspey. The name comes from the Gaelic 'Ceann a' Ghiuthsaich' which means 'head of the pine forest'. The original settlement, surrounded by a pine forest, was created a Burgh of Barony in 1464. It was redesigned as a planned village by the Duke of Gordon in 1799.<br /> <br /> Tourism and local business were given a boost with the coming of the railway in the 1860s and a golf course was opened in 1890. The Camanachd Association, which governs shinty in Scotland, was form in Kingussie in 1893.