Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Spar shop, Kingussie
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_013_0988
PLACENAME
Kingussie
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh
DATE OF IMAGE
24 June 1976
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14878
KEYWORDS
badenoch shops
Spar shop, Kingussie

Spar foodmarket on Kingussie High Street. Originally founded in the Netherlands in the 1930s, Spar shops can now be found across the world. In the UK they are primarily known as grocery and convenience stores.

Kingussie is a small town found in the upper Spey Valley of Badenoch and Strathspey. The name comes from the Gaelic 'Ceann a' Ghiuthsaich' which means 'head of the pine forest'. The original settlement, surrounded by a pine forest, was created a Burgh of Barony in 1464. It was redesigned as a planned village by the Duke of Gordon in 1799.

Tourism and local business were given a boost with the coming of the railway in the 1860s and a golf course was opened in 1890. The Camanachd Association, which governs shinty in Scotland, was form in Kingussie in 1893.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Spar shop, Kingussie

INVERNESS: Kingussie and Insh

1970s

badenoch shops

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Spar foodmarket on Kingussie High Street. Originally founded in the Netherlands in the 1930s, Spar shops can now be found across the world. In the UK they are primarily known as grocery and convenience stores.<br /> <br /> Kingussie is a small town found in the upper Spey Valley of Badenoch and Strathspey. The name comes from the Gaelic 'Ceann a' Ghiuthsaich' which means 'head of the pine forest'. The original settlement, surrounded by a pine forest, was created a Burgh of Barony in 1464. It was redesigned as a planned village by the Duke of Gordon in 1799.<br /> <br /> Tourism and local business were given a boost with the coming of the railway in the 1860s and a golf course was opened in 1890. The Camanachd Association, which governs shinty in Scotland, was form in Kingussie in 1893.