Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Beale and Pyper, Grantown on Spey
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_014_1051
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
29 June 1976
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14895
KEYWORDS
badenoch shops
Beale and Pyper, Grantown on Spey

Beale and Pyper have been providing customers in the north of Scotland with furniture, floor coverings, soft furnishings and giftware since they were established in 1886.

Grantown on Spey was founded as a planned settlement by Sir James Grant, the local landowner, in 1765. It is situated beside the River Spey at the northern edge of the Cairngorm mountains and, at the time of founding, was well served by two military roads. It was originally just Grantown after Sir James Grant but the 'on Spey' was added in the late 1890s.

At one point, two railways reached Grantown on Spey which gave the town a boost to industry and tourism. Although both lines have since closed the town is still a very popular tourist destination. The Strathspey Steam Railway has its current terminus at Broomhill Station, about three miles south of Grantown on Spey. It is hoped that in the future the line can, again, be extended to Grantown on Spey.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Beale and Pyper, Grantown on Spey

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1970s

badenoch shops

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Beale and Pyper have been providing customers in the north of Scotland with furniture, floor coverings, soft furnishings and giftware since they were established in 1886.<br /> <br /> Grantown on Spey was founded as a planned settlement by Sir James Grant, the local landowner, in 1765. It is situated beside the River Spey at the northern edge of the Cairngorm mountains and, at the time of founding, was well served by two military roads. It was originally just Grantown after Sir James Grant but the 'on Spey' was added in the late 1890s.<br /> <br /> At one point, two railways reached Grantown on Spey which gave the town a boost to industry and tourism. Although both lines have since closed the town is still a very popular tourist destination. The Strathspey Steam Railway has its current terminus at Broomhill Station, about three miles south of Grantown on Spey. It is hoped that in the future the line can, again, be extended to Grantown on Spey.