Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Donaldson's, Grantown on Spey
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_015_0016
PLACENAME
Grantown on Spey
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie
DATE OF IMAGE
29 June 1976
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14904
KEYWORDS
shops
Donaldson's, Grantown on Spey

This photographs shows Donaldson's shop in Grantown of Spey. A great variety of merchandise is displayed in the windows and doorway including fishing nets, footballs, beach windbreakers, ornaments and woven tote bags.

Grantown on Spey was founded as a planned settlement by Sir James Grant, the local landowner, in 1765. It is situated beside the River Spey at the northern edge of the Cairngorm mountains and, at the time of founding, was well served by two military roads. It was originally just Grantown after Sir James Grant but the 'on Spey' was added in the late 1890s.

At one point, two railways reached Grantown on Spey which gave the town a boost to industry and tourism. Although both lines have since closed the town is still a very popular tourist destination. The Strathspey Steam Railway has its current terminus at Broomhill Station, about three miles south of Grantown on Spey. It is hoped that in the future the line can, again, be extended to Grantown on Spey.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Donaldson's, Grantown on Spey

MORAYSHIRE: Cromdale, Inverallan and Advie

1970s

shops

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This photographs shows Donaldson's shop in Grantown of Spey. A great variety of merchandise is displayed in the windows and doorway including fishing nets, footballs, beach windbreakers, ornaments and woven tote bags.<br /> <br /> Grantown on Spey was founded as a planned settlement by Sir James Grant, the local landowner, in 1765. It is situated beside the River Spey at the northern edge of the Cairngorm mountains and, at the time of founding, was well served by two military roads. It was originally just Grantown after Sir James Grant but the 'on Spey' was added in the late 1890s.<br /> <br /> At one point, two railways reached Grantown on Spey which gave the town a boost to industry and tourism. Although both lines have since closed the town is still a very popular tourist destination. The Strathspey Steam Railway has its current terminus at Broomhill Station, about three miles south of Grantown on Spey. It is hoped that in the future the line can, again, be extended to Grantown on Spey.