Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Aviemore Station
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_016_0044
PLACENAME
Aviemore
DISTRICT
Badenoch
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14913
KEYWORDS
trains
stations
buildings
railways
transport
Aviemore Station

Aviemore Railway Station serves the town of Aviemore and is found on the Highland Main Line between Perth and Inverness and is also the southern terminus for the Strathspey Steam Railway. The current station replaced a previous station building and was opened in 1898. Before 1898 the railway went from Aviemore to Forres but a direct line to Inverness via Slochd was opened in 1898 making Aviemore an important junction on the rail network. The Aviemore to Forres line was closed in 1965.

The station has three platforms, one of which has been used by the Strathspey Railway since 1998 when the entire station was refurbished. The Strathspey Railway runs steam trains (and occasionally diesel trains) on the old line between Aviemore and Broomhill station with plans to extend it further to Grantown on Spey.

Aviemore station is the second largest station in the Highland Council area after Inverness.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Aviemore Station

INVERNESS: Duthil and Rothiemurchus

1970s

trains; stations; buildings; railways; transport

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Aviemore Railway Station serves the town of Aviemore and is found on the Highland Main Line between Perth and Inverness and is also the southern terminus for the Strathspey Steam Railway. The current station replaced a previous station building and was opened in 1898. Before 1898 the railway went from Aviemore to Forres but a direct line to Inverness via Slochd was opened in 1898 making Aviemore an important junction on the rail network. The Aviemore to Forres line was closed in 1965.<br /> <br /> The station has three platforms, one of which has been used by the Strathspey Railway since 1998 when the entire station was refurbished. The Strathspey Railway runs steam trains (and occasionally diesel trains) on the old line between Aviemore and Broomhill station with plans to extend it further to Grantown on Spey.<br /> <br /> Aviemore station is the second largest station in the Highland Council area after Inverness.