Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Boots the Chemist, Inglis Street, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_04_051_0578
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1976
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14946
KEYWORDS
shops
streets
books
libraries
chemists
Boots the Chemist, Inglis Street, Inverness

This photograph shows the corner of Inglis Street and Inverness High Street, before the area was pedestrianised. Boots the Chemist moved from here to the Eastgate Shopping Centre in February, 1983.

The Boots Book Lending Library was originally housed on the first floor, above the shop. The service was established in 1898 and a typical Boots' library was fitted with wooden bookshelves, chairs, tables, notepaper and even fresh flowers. Members paid a subscription and were able to borrow books. Light romances and 'whodunnits' were the most popular. By 1938 Boots libraries were issuing 35 million books each year.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Boots the Chemist, Inglis Street, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1970s

shops; streets; books; libraries; chemists;

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This photograph shows the corner of Inglis Street and Inverness High Street, before the area was pedestrianised. Boots the Chemist moved from here to the Eastgate Shopping Centre in February, 1983.<br /> <br /> The Boots Book Lending Library was originally housed on the first floor, above the shop. The service was established in 1898 and a typical Boots' library was fitted with wooden bookshelves, chairs, tables, notepaper and even fresh flowers. Members paid a subscription and were able to borrow books. Light romances and 'whodunnits' were the most popular. By 1938 Boots libraries were issuing 35 million books each year.