Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Daviot Church
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_05_010_1370
PLACENAME
Daviot
DISTRICT
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Daviot and Dunlichity
DATE OF IMAGE
16 March 1979
PERIOD
1970s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
14976
KEYWORDS
churches
buildings
religion
christianity
Daviot Church

The Church of Daviot was granted a charter in the 13th century. There have been at least two previous churches but this present building dates from 1826. The contractors were Macphail and Macfarlane and the specifications were prepared by Alexander Grant who was the factor to The Mackintosh, the local land owner and chief of the Clan Mackintosh.
The church was known to drovers for many years as the 'kirk of the golden cockerel' because of a distinctive weather vane. Standing where it does, the church is now a familiar landmark on the A9 road.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Daviot Church

INVERNESS: Daviot and Dunlichity

1970s

churches; buildings; religion; christianity

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Church of Daviot was granted a charter in the 13th century. There have been at least two previous churches but this present building dates from 1826. The contractors were Macphail and Macfarlane and the specifications were prepared by Alexander Grant who was the factor to The Mackintosh, the local land owner and chief of the Clan Mackintosh.<br /> The church was known to drovers for many years as the 'kirk of the golden cockerel' because of a distinctive weather vane. Standing where it does, the church is now a familiar landmark on the A9 road.