Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Church at Kirkton of Barevan
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_06_004_0585
PLACENAME
Barevan
DISTRICT
Nairn (landward)
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Cawdor
DATE OF IMAGE
25 July 1980
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15111
KEYWORDS
churches
buildings
ruins
religion
graves
christianity
Church at Kirkton of Barevan

The ruined church at Barevan was once the Parish church of Cawdor. These ruins date from the early 14th Century but a church is mentioned on the site in a papal bull of 1255. A Celtic bronze bell from the early church is preserved at Cawdor Castle. The churchyard contains a number of graves which have cup marks on them.

Barevan Church fell out of use when it was replaced by the more accessible Cawdor Parish Church in 1619.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Church at Kirkton of Barevan

NAIRN: Cawdor

1980s

churches; buildings; ruins; religion; graves; christianity

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The ruined church at Barevan was once the Parish church of Cawdor. These ruins date from the early 14th Century but a church is mentioned on the site in a papal bull of 1255. A Celtic bronze bell from the early church is preserved at Cawdor Castle. The churchyard contains a number of graves which have cup marks on them.<br /> <br /> Barevan Church fell out of use when it was replaced by the more accessible Cawdor Parish Church in 1619.