Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Viewfield House, Nairn
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_06_009_0792_AT
PLACENAME
Nairn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
NAIRN: Nairn
DATE OF IMAGE
2010
PERIOD
2010s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
Andrew Taylor
ASSET ID
15178
KEYWORDS
museum
family home
World War II
World War 2
2nd World War
Second World War
Viewfield House, Nairn

Viewfield House was built in 1803 in extensive grounds on the west side of Nairn and was approached through a long avenue of trees. Its first recorded owner was Colonel Ludovick Grant who sold it to a Captain Williamson in 1808. In 1812 James Augustus Grant bought the house with a view to his marriage to Elizabeth Mackintosh of Millbank in 1813 and the couple made Viewfield House their family home, where they lived for the rest of their lives. The site now occupied by the bus station was once their walled garden and instead of the present police station, a lodge once stood at the entrance to the drive. When James and Elizabeth died in the late 1860s, the house passed to one of their daughters, Eliza Shireff. She left the house to a nephew, Harry Rose, and it was subsequently bought by a distiller.

During World War II Viewfield House was requisitioned and occupied by Polish military personnel. In 1948 the house was acquired by the Council. The house then served as Council offices, and was also used by the Bowling Club, the Library, the Nairn Pipe Band and the Museum of the Nairn Literary Institute. Since 2003 the house has been used exclusively by Nairn Museum.

In front of the house stands the statue of Dr John Grigor (1814-1886), a medical practitioner and former provost of Nairn who did much to establish Nairn's reputation as a health resort and who bequeathed much of his wealth to the people of Nairn. The statue was erected in 1890 at the junction of the High Street and Leopold Street but in 1950 was moved to Viewfield House

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Viewfield House, Nairn

NAIRN: Nairn

2010s

museum; family home; World War II; World War 2; 2nd World War; Second World War;

Andrew Taylor

Viewfield House was built in 1803 in extensive grounds on the west side of Nairn and was approached through a long avenue of trees. Its first recorded owner was Colonel Ludovick Grant who sold it to a Captain Williamson in 1808. In 1812 James Augustus Grant bought the house with a view to his marriage to Elizabeth Mackintosh of Millbank in 1813 and the couple made Viewfield House their family home, where they lived for the rest of their lives. The site now occupied by the bus station was once their walled garden and instead of the present police station, a lodge once stood at the entrance to the drive. When James and Elizabeth died in the late 1860s, the house passed to one of their daughters, Eliza Shireff. She left the house to a nephew, Harry Rose, and it was subsequently bought by a distiller. <br /> <br /> During World War II Viewfield House was requisitioned and occupied by Polish military personnel. In 1948 the house was acquired by the Council. The house then served as Council offices, and was also used by the Bowling Club, the Library, the Nairn Pipe Band and the Museum of the Nairn Literary Institute. Since 2003 the house has been used exclusively by Nairn Museum. <br /> <br /> In front of the house stands the statue of Dr John Grigor (1814-1886), a medical practitioner and former provost of Nairn who did much to establish Nairn's reputation as a health resort and who bequeathed much of his wealth to the people of Nairn. The statue was erected in 1890 at the junction of the High Street and Leopold Street but in 1950 was moved to Viewfield House