Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Andrew's Church of Scotland, Golspie
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_06_025_1337
PLACENAME
Golspie
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Golspie
DATE OF IMAGE
1980
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15219
KEYWORDS
churches
buildings
religion
christianity
pulpits
St Andrew's Church of Scotland, Golspie

The present St Andrews Church, Golspie, was built between 1737 and 1739 and replaced previous chapels that had stood on the site since the 13th century. The Earl of Sutherland built the original chapel in the 13th century for the use of his family. The chapel became the parish church in 1619.

The south transept of the church was added in 1751 to support the wall as well as to add capacity. A belfry was added in 1774 and a porch in 1849. The canopied pulpit (carved in 1738) and the Sutherland Loft (1739) were both carved by Kenneth Sutherland who was the carpenter at Dunrobin Castle.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Andrew's Church of Scotland, Golspie

SUTHERLAND: Golspie

1980s

churches; buildings; religion; christianity; pulpits

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The present St Andrews Church, Golspie, was built between 1737 and 1739 and replaced previous chapels that had stood on the site since the 13th century. The Earl of Sutherland built the original chapel in the 13th century for the use of his family. The chapel became the parish church in 1619.<br /> <br /> The south transept of the church was added in 1751 to support the wall as well as to add capacity. A belfry was added in 1774 and a porch in 1849. The canopied pulpit (carved in 1738) and the Sutherland Loft (1739) were both carved by Kenneth Sutherland who was the carpenter at Dunrobin Castle.