Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Kings House Hotel, Glencoe
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_06_044_0038
PLACENAME
Kings House, Glen Coe
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
DATE OF IMAGE
14 October 1980
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15360
KEYWORDS
hotels
inns
buildings
tourism
Kings House Hotel, Glencoe

The Kings House Hotel sits at the junction of Glen Coe and Glen Etive. It was built in the 17th Century and is thought to be one of Scotland's oldest licensed inns. Wade's military road crosses the River Etive beside the inn and parts of it now form stretches of the West Highland Way. Government soldiers were billeted there in the aftermath of the battle of Culloden in 1746 and the name, Kings House, dates from then. Because of its position Kings House is very popular with walkers and climbers all year round and with skiers in the winter.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Kings House Hotel, Glencoe

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

1980s

hotels; inns; buildings; tourism

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Kings House Hotel sits at the junction of Glen Coe and Glen Etive. It was built in the 17th Century and is thought to be one of Scotland's oldest licensed inns. Wade's military road crosses the River Etive beside the inn and parts of it now form stretches of the West Highland Way. Government soldiers were billeted there in the aftermath of the battle of Culloden in 1746 and the name, Kings House, dates from then. Because of its position Kings House is very popular with walkers and climbers all year round and with skiers in the winter.