Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Memorial to the Glen Coe Massacre
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_06_044_0044
PLACENAME
Glen Coe
DISTRICT
North Lorn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin
DATE OF IMAGE
1980
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15363
KEYWORDS
memorials
monuments
massacres
clans
jacobites
Memorial to the Glen Coe Massacre

The Glen Coe Massacre memorial stands at the eastern end of Glencoe village and was created by MacDonald of Aberdeen in 1883. It commemorates the massacre of the MacDonalds of Glen Coe in February 1692.

King William had offered to pardon all those Highland clans who had fought against him in the 1689 Jacobite Rising if they would pledge allegiance to him before 1 January 1692. Alasdair MacIain, Chief of the Glen Coe MacDonalds, went to pledge allegiance at Inverlochy but was told to go, instead, to Inveraray. As a result, his pledge came five days late. The Glen Coe MacDonalds were chosen to make an example to the other clans that had refused to pledge allegiance. Troops, under Captain Robert Campbell, were billeted with the MacDonalds and after two weeks received their orders to 'putt all to the sword under seventy'. Initially, 38 were killed, but more died later of exposure in the glen after their homes were burned.

Set against a backdrop of more than 200 years of inter-clan fighting between the Campbells and MacDonalds, putting a Campbell in charge of the troops allowed the Government's role in the massacre to be largely glossed over in the mind's of some people.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Memorial to the Glen Coe Massacre

ARGYLL: Lismore and Appin

1980s

memorials; monuments; massacres; clans; jacobites;

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Glen Coe Massacre memorial stands at the eastern end of Glencoe village and was created by MacDonald of Aberdeen in 1883. It commemorates the massacre of the MacDonalds of Glen Coe in February 1692.<br /> <br /> King William had offered to pardon all those Highland clans who had fought against him in the 1689 Jacobite Rising if they would pledge allegiance to him before 1 January 1692. Alasdair MacIain, Chief of the Glen Coe MacDonalds, went to pledge allegiance at Inverlochy but was told to go, instead, to Inveraray. As a result, his pledge came five days late. The Glen Coe MacDonalds were chosen to make an example to the other clans that had refused to pledge allegiance. Troops, under Captain Robert Campbell, were billeted with the MacDonalds and after two weeks received their orders to 'putt all to the sword under seventy'. Initially, 38 were killed, but more died later of exposure in the glen after their homes were burned.<br /> <br /> Set against a backdrop of more than 200 years of inter-clan fighting between the Campbells and MacDonalds, putting a Campbell in charge of the troops allowed the Government's role in the massacre to be largely glossed over in the mind's of some people.