Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Farr Church of Scotland
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_07_018_0649
PLACENAME
Clachan
DISTRICT
Tongue and Farr
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Farr
DATE OF IMAGE
21 May 1981
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15458
KEYWORDS
churches
buildings
religion
museums
clearances
Farr Church of Scotland

Farr Parish Church was built in 1774 on the site of a previous church. It was built to accommodate a congregation of over 800 but the galleries were removed in the 19th century as the congregation fell due to the Disruption of the Church of Scotland and the Highland Clearances. The building was in use as a church until the 1950s and was subsequently refurbished and opened as the Strathnaver Museum in 1976. It now houses exhibitions and information about the Strathnaver Clearances and the Clan Mackay.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Farr Church of Scotland

SUTHERLAND: Farr

1980s

churches; buildings; religion; museums; clearances

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Farr Parish Church was built in 1774 on the site of a previous church. It was built to accommodate a congregation of over 800 but the galleries were removed in the 19th century as the congregation fell due to the Disruption of the Church of Scotland and the Highland Clearances. The building was in use as a church until the 1950s and was subsequently refurbished and opened as the Strathnaver Museum in 1976. It now houses exhibitions and information about the Strathnaver Clearances and the Clan Mackay.