Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Achany House
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_07_026_0819
PLACENAME
Achany
DISTRICT
Golspie, Rogart and Lairg
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
SUTHERLAND: Lairg
DATE OF IMAGE
6 July 1981
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15497
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
colleges
further education
estates
Achany House

Achany House dates from around 1800 although its design makes it appear older. It sits in the Achany Glen close to the River Shin and was originally a seat of the Munros. It later became the home of Sir James Matheson, MP for Ross and Cromarty, who made his fortune in Asia with the Jardine Matheson trading company. The estate was inherited by his nephew, Donald Matheson, and remained the Matheson family home until 1948. The house was sold to the Ministry of Agriculture and used as an agricultural college. It was later used as a hotel before returning to private ownership.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Achany House

SUTHERLAND: Lairg

1980s

houses; buildings; colleges; further education; estates

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Achany House dates from around 1800 although its design makes it appear older. It sits in the Achany Glen close to the River Shin and was originally a seat of the Munros. It later became the home of Sir James Matheson, MP for Ross and Cromarty, who made his fortune in Asia with the Jardine Matheson trading company. The estate was inherited by his nephew, Donald Matheson, and remained the Matheson family home until 1948. The house was sold to the Ministry of Agriculture and used as an agricultural college. It was later used as a hotel before returning to private ownership.