Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Royal Northern Infirmary, Inverness
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_07_036_0049
PLACENAME
Inverness
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona
DATE OF IMAGE
1981
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15554
KEYWORDS
hospitals
healthcare
Royal Northern Infirmary, Inverness

A photograph of the Royal Northern Infirmary in Inverness. It is situated close to the west bank of the River Ness between Ness Walk and Ballifeary Road.

The building of the RNI was suggested in 1797 and subscriptions were invited. The driving force behind the project was Provost William Inglis.

It was built between 1799 and 1804 by John Smith of Banff as a three-storeyed main block bracketed by two lower wings. The masons were James and Alexander Nicol of Kintessack, near Forres, and Hugh Suter of Inverness.

Alterations were carried out in 1864-66 by Mathews and Lawrie and a front block was added in 1896-98 by Ross and MacBeth. A Festival of Britain porch was added in 1954.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Royal Northern Infirmary, Inverness

INVERNESS: Inverness and Bona

1980s

hospitals; healthcare

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

A photograph of the Royal Northern Infirmary in Inverness. It is situated close to the west bank of the River Ness between Ness Walk and Ballifeary Road. <br /> <br /> The building of the RNI was suggested in 1797 and subscriptions were invited. The driving force behind the project was Provost William Inglis. <br /> <br /> It was built between 1799 and 1804 by John Smith of Banff as a three-storeyed main block bracketed by two lower wings. The masons were James and Alexander Nicol of Kintessack, near Forres, and Hugh Suter of Inverness.<br /> <br /> Alterations were carried out in 1864-66 by Mathews and Lawrie and a front block was added in 1896-98 by Ross and MacBeth. A Festival of Britain porch was added in 1954.