Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - Hydro-Electric Adverts

These advertisements were included with the quarterly hydro electric bill for James Banks' house in Portree. Banks was the owner of West Highland Salmon Fisheries Ltd.



The North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board took every opportunity to promote the use of electricity after the Storr Lochs Hydro Electric station, north of Portree, opened in May 1952 and brought the utility to the area. Prior to this, only hotels and some of the larger houses had private electricity supplies while the Royal Hotel had a diesel generator which supplied street lighting to the village. At the time of the official opening there were 850 homes on the island wired for electricity with a proposal to have 2,500 more ready within a year.





West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd

In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.



When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.



The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.



The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.





This image may be available to purchase.

For further information about purchasing and prices please email

Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - Hydro-Electric Adverts

1950s

fishing industry; commercial fishing; salmon fishing; trout fishing; net fishing; domestic appliances

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd (documents)

These advertisements were included with the quarterly hydro electric bill for James Banks' house in Portree. Banks was the owner of West Highland Salmon Fisheries Ltd.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> The North of Scotland Hydro Electric Board took every opportunity to promote the use of electricity after the Storr Lochs Hydro Electric station, north of Portree, opened in May 1952 and brought the utility to the area. Prior to this, only hotels and some of the larger houses had private electricity supplies while the Royal Hotel had a diesel generator which supplied street lighting to the village. At the time of the official opening there were 850 homes on the island wired for electricity with a proposal to have 2,500 more ready within a year. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> <br /><br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /><br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /><br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a><br /><br />