Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - Statement of telephone/telegraph services, 1960
EXTERNAL ID
HCD_DAVIDBANKS_146
DATE OF IMAGE
2 May 1960
PERIOD
1960s
SOURCE
Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre
ASSET ID
1563
KEYWORDS
fishing industry
commercial fishing
salmon fishing
trout fishing
net fishing
communication
West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - Statement of telephone/telegraph services, 1960

This is a telephone bill received by James Banks, owner of West Highland Salmon Fisheries Ltd of Portree. It is for his home and office in Bayfield, Portree. It covers the period from July to December 1959. The telephone number was Portree 58.

These charges represent the actual usage of the service and indicate whether the charges were for telephone calls or telegrams. Banks frequently used telegrams to alert wholesale merchants that fish shipments were on their way or when sending boat parts, equipment and other goods from Portree. Line rental was paid one quarter in arrears and one quarter in advance. The quarterly rental was £3 10s 0d while the total for this bill was £25 13s 4d. It was paid at Portree post office in May 1960.


West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd
In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree.

When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired.

The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots.

The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957.


This image may be available to purchase.
For further information about purchasing and prices please email
Skye and Lochalsh Archives

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co. - Statement of telephone/telegraph services, 1960

1960s

fishing industry; commercial fishing; salmon fishing; trout fishing; net fishing; communication

Skye and Lochalsh Archive Centre

David Banks: West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd (documents)

This is a telephone bill received by James Banks, owner of West Highland Salmon Fisheries Ltd of Portree. It is for his home and office in Bayfield, Portree. It covers the period from July to December 1959. The telephone number was Portree 58. <br /> <br /> These charges represent the actual usage of the service and indicate whether the charges were for telephone calls or telegrams. Banks frequently used telegrams to alert wholesale merchants that fish shipments were on their way or when sending boat parts, equipment and other goods from Portree. Line rental was paid one quarter in arrears and one quarter in advance. The quarterly rental was £3 10s 0d while the total for this bill was £25 13s 4d. It was paid at Portree post office in May 1960.<br /> <br /> <br /> <b>West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd</b><br /> In 1944 James Banks & Sons, Perth bought the sea salmon fishing lease for the Kilmuir Estates, Skye from A Powrie & Co, and formed the West Highland Salmon Fisheries Co Ltd to operate the lease. The company continued until 1962 when it was sold to Kenneth Matheson, Portree. <br /> <br /> When Banks and Sons took over the lease there were fishing stations at Lealt, Rigg (Borreraig), Staffin, Portree, Camustianavaig, Balmeanach and Brochel Castle (on Raasay). In 1956, Balmeanach and Camustianavaig merged to become the Braes station, with three men employed, while the others usually had four-man crews. The company employed about 28 men each year with jobs being offered to the same men each season before new workers were hired. <br /> <br /> The season began late April/early May and ran through to the end of August. Several men were also employed during the winter months to take ice down from the dam at Sluggans for storage at the ice house at Portree harbour. Each crew member would receive a contract with information on wages, proposed bonus scheme and work hours and were provided with oilskins and rubber boots. <br /> <br /> The catch was divided into salmon, grilse and trout, with grilse numbers being the highest. The total annual catch was approximately 3000 fish in the late 1940s and early 1950s. A record high of nearly 10,000 fish were caught in 1957. <br /> <br /> <br /> This image may be available to purchase.<br /> For further information about purchasing and prices please email<br /> <a href="mailto: skyeandlochalsh.archives@highlifehighland.com ">Skye and Lochalsh Archives</a>