Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Cromarty House
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_07_059_0454
PLACENAME
Cromarty
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Cromarty
DATE OF IMAGE
10 February 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15659
KEYWORDS
houses
buildings
dwellings
Cromarty House

Cromarty House was built for George Ross after he had acquired the Cromarty Estate in 1772. The 13th century Cromarty Castle was demolished to make way for the classical mansion. It has two storeys, a basement and an attic as well as another wing attached to either side of the house. The house also has an underground service tunnel linking it to the road. This was constructed in the late 19th century to allow servants and tradesmen to come and go without disturbing the owners in their garden.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Cromarty House

ROSS: Cromarty

1980s

houses; buildings; dwellings

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Cromarty House was built for George Ross after he had acquired the Cromarty Estate in 1772. The 13th century Cromarty Castle was demolished to make way for the classical mansion. It has two storeys, a basement and an attic as well as another wing attached to either side of the house. The house also has an underground service tunnel linking it to the road. This was constructed in the late 19th century to allow servants and tradesmen to come and go without disturbing the owners in their garden.