Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Tarbat House, near Invergordon
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_009_0949
PLACENAME
Tarbat
DISTRICT
Invergordon
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kilmuir Easter
DATE OF IMAGE
15 April 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15724
KEYWORDS
architecture
building
buildings
Tarbat House, near Invergordon

Tarbat House is located 7km north-east of Invergordon, by the village of Milton.



Tarbat House, a three-storey mansion of classical design, was built in 1787 by James McLeran for John MacKenzie, Lord MacLeod (d. 1789). The house remained in the MacKenzie family until the death of Sibell Lilian MacKenzie in 1962. In 1987 Tarbat House was the subject of an arson attack and the building is presently in a state of some disrepair.



In her book 'Ross & Cromarty - An Illustrated Architectural History', Elizabeth Beaton quotes from the writings of Sir George Stuart MacKenzie of Contin, who in 1810 commented that, "Tarbat House is quite plain outside. Within are some handsome rooms. A great deal of space has been taken up by the architect having indulged himself in displaying wide landing spaces, and a spacious staircase. These are extremely pleasant during the summer months but are hardly suited to our long and dreary winters. The rooms are elegantly proportioned, and there is a fine view of Cromarty from the windows of the principal rooms."



Tarbat House was erected on the site of New Tarbat House, built by George MacKenzie, Viscount Tarbat and 1st Earl of Cromartie in the late seventeenth century. Prior to the construction of Tarbat House the ruinous New Tarbat House was demolished and some of the remains are said to have been incorporated into the new building.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Tarbat House, near Invergordon

ROSS: Kilmuir Easter

1980s

architecture; building; buildings

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Tarbat House is located 7km north-east of Invergordon, by the village of Milton.<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Tarbat House, a three-storey mansion of classical design, was built in 1787 by James McLeran for John MacKenzie, Lord MacLeod (d. 1789). The house remained in the MacKenzie family until the death of Sibell Lilian MacKenzie in 1962. In 1987 Tarbat House was the subject of an arson attack and the building is presently in a state of some disrepair. <br /><br /> <br /><br /> In her book 'Ross & Cromarty - An Illustrated Architectural History', Elizabeth Beaton quotes from the writings of Sir George Stuart MacKenzie of Contin, who in 1810 commented that, "Tarbat House is quite plain outside. Within are some handsome rooms. A great deal of space has been taken up by the architect having indulged himself in displaying wide landing spaces, and a spacious staircase. These are extremely pleasant during the summer months but are hardly suited to our long and dreary winters. The rooms are elegantly proportioned, and there is a fine view of Cromarty from the windows of the principal rooms."<br /><br /> <br /><br /> Tarbat House was erected on the site of New Tarbat House, built by George MacKenzie, Viscount Tarbat and 1st Earl of Cromartie in the late seventeenth century. Prior to the construction of Tarbat House the ruinous New Tarbat House was demolished and some of the remains are said to have been incorporated into the new building.