Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Fearn Airfield
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_016_0064
PLACENAME
Fearn
DISTRICT
Fearn
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Fearn
DATE OF IMAGE
12 May 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15792
KEYWORDS
airfields
Royal Air Force
Royal Navy Air Service
World War II
Second World War
2nd World War
Fearn Airfield

Fearn Airfield is variously known as RAF Fearn, RNAS Fearn and HMS Owl. RAF Fearn was originally built by the RAF as a satellite airfield to RAF Tain. It was taken over by the Royal Navy in August 1942 and became HMS Owl. It was used as a torpedo training school and was home to squadrons of Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Barracuda aircraft during World War Two. The airfield had two control towers, the original single storey RAF building and a three storey Royal Navy building. There were two camps close by providing accommodation, a hospital and a gas decontamination block. At its peak there were around 3000 men and women stationed there. The airfield closed in July 1946 and, in most cases, only the skeletons of the buildings remain.

In later years, the deserted runway became a popular place for local people to learn to drive.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Fearn Airfield

ROSS: Fearn

1980s

airfields; Royal Air Force; Royal Navy Air Service; World War II; Second World War; 2nd World War

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Fearn Airfield is variously known as RAF Fearn, RNAS Fearn and HMS Owl. RAF Fearn was originally built by the RAF as a satellite airfield to RAF Tain. It was taken over by the Royal Navy in August 1942 and became HMS Owl. It was used as a torpedo training school and was home to squadrons of Royal Navy Fleet Air Arm Barracuda aircraft during World War Two. The airfield had two control towers, the original single storey RAF building and a three storey Royal Navy building. There were two camps close by providing accommodation, a hospital and a gas decontamination block. At its peak there were around 3000 men and women stationed there. The airfield closed in July 1946 and, in most cases, only the skeletons of the buildings remain.<br /> <br /> In later years, the deserted runway became a popular place for local people to learn to drive.