Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Glendale Watermill, Skye
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_018_1214
PLACENAME
Glendale
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
DATE OF IMAGE
25 May 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15800
KEYWORDS
cornmill
kilnhouse
water wheel
Glendale Watermill, Skye

The watermill at Glendale is a rare surviving example of an 18th century water-powered corn mill. It is situated at the head of Loch Pooltiel where a burn was guided along a lade to turn an overshot waterwheel. The mill served the crofting townships in the area and its relatively small size reflects the limited amount of arable land in the vicinity.

Alongside the mill is a kiln house where the grain was dried before being ground in the main building. The mill was slated around 1914, having been originally thatched, but fell into disuse shortly after. The photograph shows the restored building in 1982. The pair of stones are from Rogart Mill in Sutherland while the waterwheel dates from around 1902. Despite this attempt to restore the building as a visitor attraction, its condition has again deteriorated considerably in recent years.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Glendale Watermill, Skye

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1980s

cornmill; kilnhouse; water wheel

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The watermill at Glendale is a rare surviving example of an 18th century water-powered corn mill. It is situated at the head of Loch Pooltiel where a burn was guided along a lade to turn an overshot waterwheel. The mill served the crofting townships in the area and its relatively small size reflects the limited amount of arable land in the vicinity.<br /> <br /> Alongside the mill is a kiln house where the grain was dried before being ground in the main building. The mill was slated around 1914, having been originally thatched, but fell into disuse shortly after. The photograph shows the restored building in 1982. The pair of stones are from Rogart Mill in Sutherland while the waterwheel dates from around 1902. Despite this attempt to restore the building as a visitor attraction, its condition has again deteriorated considerably in recent years.