Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dunvegan Castle from the sea
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_019_1246
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15809
KEYWORDS
castles
Dunvegan Castle from the sea

Dunvegan Castle is the seat of Clan MacLeod. Leod, the clan's progenitor, either built the structure, or gained it as part of his wife's dowry, sometime in the 13th century.

Bound on three sides by rocky cliffs and the waters of Loch Dunvegan, and protected on the landward side by a deep-cut ditch, the castle was almost impossible to penetrate. The only entrance was through the ancient sea-gate which faced into the loch. In 1748 the gate was superseded by a bridge spanning the ditch.

The most distinctive structure at Dunvegan is the great keep. It dates back to the 14th century and was the creation of Malcolm, the 3rd MacLeod chief. At over 15 metres tall and with 3 metre thick walls, the keep served as the dungeon tower and also contained vaulted basements, the great hall, private apartments, and bed chambers. The exterior turrets and observation tower are later additions. The only major repair to the keep has been the tower's re-roofing in 1790. At the opposite end of the eastern wing is the Fairy Tower, built c.1500 by Alasdair Crotach, the 8th chief.

The Castle and the famous relics it contains, along with the surrounding gardens, are a hugely popular attraction on Skye. Thousands of visitors peer down into the dungeon, gaze at the Zoffany and Raeburn paintings of MacLeod ancestors, and admire the ancient legendary Fairy Flag, flown only when Clan MacLeod are in peril.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dunvegan Castle from the sea

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1980s

castles

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Dunvegan Castle is the seat of Clan MacLeod. Leod, the clan's progenitor, either built the structure, or gained it as part of his wife's dowry, sometime in the 13th century. <br /> <br /> Bound on three sides by rocky cliffs and the waters of Loch Dunvegan, and protected on the landward side by a deep-cut ditch, the castle was almost impossible to penetrate. The only entrance was through the ancient sea-gate which faced into the loch. In 1748 the gate was superseded by a bridge spanning the ditch.<br /> <br /> The most distinctive structure at Dunvegan is the great keep. It dates back to the 14th century and was the creation of Malcolm, the 3rd MacLeod chief. At over 15 metres tall and with 3 metre thick walls, the keep served as the dungeon tower and also contained vaulted basements, the great hall, private apartments, and bed chambers. The exterior turrets and observation tower are later additions. The only major repair to the keep has been the tower's re-roofing in 1790. At the opposite end of the eastern wing is the Fairy Tower, built c.1500 by Alasdair Crotach, the 8th chief. <br /> <br /> The Castle and the famous relics it contains, along with the surrounding gardens, are a hugely popular attraction on Skye. Thousands of visitors peer down into the dungeon, gaze at the Zoffany and Raeburn paintings of MacLeod ancestors, and admire the ancient legendary Fairy Flag, flown only when Clan MacLeod are in peril.