Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
St Mary's Church, Dunvegan
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_019_1258
PLACENAME
Dunvegan
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Duirinish
DATE OF IMAGE
26 May 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15813
KEYWORDS
St Mary's Church
clan
Macleod
cemetery
St Mary's Church, Dunvegan

This ruined church, now consolidated, dates from 1694. It is situated in Kilmuir (Cille Mhuire in Gaelic) on the outskirts of the village of Dunvegan. The dedication to St Mary is still reflected in the name of the township and the graveyard.

Once the parish church for Duirinish, some of the chiefs of Clan MacLeod are buried in the north aisle and chancel, the most recent being John MacLeod of MacLeod, Several generations of the MacLeod's hereditary pipers, the MacCrimmons, are at rest in the graveyard. An early 18th century ashlar obelisk commemorates Lord Thomas Frazer, as well as some late medieval carved gravestones and 18th century tablestones, are located within the walled enclosure surrounding the church.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

St Mary's Church, Dunvegan

INVERNESS: Duirinish

1980s

St Mary's Church; clan; Macleod; cemetery

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

This ruined church, now consolidated, dates from 1694. It is situated in Kilmuir (Cille Mhuire in Gaelic) on the outskirts of the village of Dunvegan. The dedication to St Mary is still reflected in the name of the township and the graveyard. <br /> <br /> Once the parish church for Duirinish, some of the chiefs of Clan MacLeod are buried in the north aisle and chancel, the most recent being John MacLeod of MacLeod, Several generations of the MacLeod's hereditary pipers, the MacCrimmons, are at rest in the graveyard. An early 18th century ashlar obelisk commemorates Lord Thomas Frazer, as well as some late medieval carved gravestones and 18th century tablestones, are located within the walled enclosure surrounding the church.