Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Snizort Free Church
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_020_1285
PLACENAME
Skeabost
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Snizort
DATE OF IMAGE
26 May 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15818
KEYWORDS
churches
schools
Snizort Free Church

The Snizort Free Church and schoolhouse are situated beside the River Tora at Skeabost Bridge. They were built by Alexander Mackenzie and completed in 1847 for the Rev Roderick MacLeod, known as 'Maighstir Ruairidh'. It has been suggested that the site had significance for the Free Church movement as it was the home of Donald Munro (c1773 - 1830), the blind evangelist. He was provided with a house and croft by a Bernisdale landowner who supported his preaching and members of his congregation were baptised in a pool close to the present church.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Snizort Free Church

INVERNESS: Snizort

1980s

churches; schools

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The Snizort Free Church and schoolhouse are situated beside the River Tora at Skeabost Bridge. They were built by Alexander Mackenzie and completed in 1847 for the Rev Roderick MacLeod, known as 'Maighstir Ruairidh'. It has been suggested that the site had significance for the Free Church movement as it was the home of Donald Munro (c1773 - 1830), the blind evangelist. He was provided with a house and croft by a Bernisdale landowner who supported his preaching and members of his congregation were baptised in a pool close to the present church.