Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Brochel Castle, Raasay
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_028_1558
PLACENAME
Raasay
DISTRICT
Skye
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Portree
DATE OF IMAGE
27 July 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15869
KEYWORDS
castles
buildings
dwellings
islands
clans
Brochel Castle, Raasay

The remnants of Brochel castle stand on a sandstone stack overlooking the Inner Sound on the north east side of the Island of Raasay. Though it was once a traditional stronghold of the Clan MacSween, the castle is thought to have been built by the first chief of the MacLeods of Raasay. He was Calum MacGillichaluim, younger son of Calum MacLeod the 9th Chief of the MacLeods of Lewis. No documentary evidence exists to confirm the date of its construction, but it is mentioned in documents in 1549 and again in a military survey of the late 16th century. The MacLeod Chiefs of Raasay remained in residence until the late 17th century, when they appear to have moved to their other tower house at Clachan.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Brochel Castle, Raasay

INVERNESS: Portree

1980s

castles; buildings; dwellings; islands; clans

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The remnants of Brochel castle stand on a sandstone stack overlooking the Inner Sound on the north east side of the Island of Raasay. Though it was once a traditional stronghold of the Clan MacSween, the castle is thought to have been built by the first chief of the MacLeods of Raasay. He was Calum MacGillichaluim, younger son of Calum MacLeod the 9th Chief of the MacLeods of Lewis. No documentary evidence exists to confirm the date of its construction, but it is mentioned in documents in 1549 and again in a military survey of the late 16th century. The MacLeod Chiefs of Raasay remained in residence until the late 17th century, when they appear to have moved to their other tower house at Clachan.