Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bernera Barracks
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_029_1600
PLACENAME
Glenelg
DISTRICT
Lochaber
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
INVERNESS: Glenelg
DATE OF IMAGE
28 July 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15881
KEYWORDS
ruins
forts
poor houses
Bernera Barracks

Bernera Barracks at Glenelg, was the last of four barracks built in the Highlands in the aftermath of the Jacobite uprising of 1715.

Construction was completed about 1723 and the fort was used to garrison government soldiers sent to subdue the local population and oversee the shipping in the Sound of Sleat.

The Grade A listed building was occupied by the military until the 1790s before being used as a poor house and shelter for people made homeless by the highland clearances.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bernera Barracks

INVERNESS: Glenelg

1980s

ruins; forts; poor houses

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Bernera Barracks at Glenelg, was the last of four barracks built in the Highlands in the aftermath of the Jacobite uprising of 1715. <br /> <br /> Construction was completed about 1723 and the fort was used to garrison government soldiers sent to subdue the local population and oversee the shipping in the Sound of Sleat. <br /> <br /> The Grade A listed building was occupied by the military until the 1790s before being used as a poor house and shelter for people made homeless by the highland clearances.