Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Bridge over River Shiel
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_030_1620
PLACENAME
Shiel Bridge
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Glenshiel
DATE OF IMAGE
29 July 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15884
KEYWORDS
roads
bridges
Parliamentary Roads
Bridge over River Shiel

A military road was built through Glenshiel to link the garrisons at Fort Augustus and Bernera after the 1745 Jacobite rising. It was constructed between 1750 and 1770 but had been abandoned by 1784.

The road was remade by Thomas Telford and it required the building of several bridges, including this over the River Shiel where it and the Allt Undalain flow into Loch Duich. It is a single-span stone bridge and is still in use today although a modern bridge now carries the A87 over the Shiel slightly further upstream.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Bridge over River Shiel

ROSS: Glenshiel

1980s

roads; bridges; Parliamentary Roads

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

A military road was built through Glenshiel to link the garrisons at Fort Augustus and Bernera after the 1745 Jacobite rising. It was constructed between 1750 and 1770 but had been abandoned by 1784. <br /> <br /> The road was remade by Thomas Telford and it required the building of several bridges, including this over the River Shiel where it and the Allt Undalain flow into Loch Duich. It is a single-span stone bridge and is still in use today although a modern bridge now carries the A87 over the Shiel slightly further upstream.