Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Eilean Donan Castle
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_030_1634
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
29 July 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15890
KEYWORDS
castles
Eilean Donan Castle

Eilean Donan Castle is situated at the confluence of Loch Long, Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan', is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD.

The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the 13th century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles.

The castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland.

Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the 18th century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castle's destruction.



Eilean Donan Castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the castle. It was completed in 1932.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Eilean Donan Castle

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

castles

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Eilean Donan Castle is situated at the confluence of Loch Long, Loch Duich and Loch Alsh. Eilean Donan, which translates as 'the island of Donan', is thought to have been named after Bishop Donan, an Irish Saint who arrived in Scotland in 580 AD. <br /> <br /> The first fortified structure was constructed on the island in the 13th century, when the area still rested under the power of the Lordship of the Isles. <br /> <br /> The castle was built on a position of strategic importance to counter the Vikings, whose raids and incursions were still a potent threat in the north of Scotland. <br /> <br /> Over the years, the castle expanded and contracted in size. It was garrisoned by Jacobite supporters during their rebellions in the 18th century in favour of the House of Stewart, and this action led to the castle's destruction. <br /> <br /> <br /> <br /> Eilean Donan Castle lay in ruins for almost 200 years until Lt Colonel John Macrae-Gilstrap bought the island in 1911 and dedicated the next 20 years of his life to restoring the castle. It was completed in 1932.