Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Dornie Bridge & Jetty
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_030_1640
PLACENAME
Dornie
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Kintail
DATE OF IMAGE
29 July 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15892
KEYWORDS
jetties
bridges
Dornie Bridge & Jetty

The village of Dornie is pictured here from the jetty at Ardelve. For many years this was the site of a ferry crossing, a vital link between Lochalsh and Kintail.

The ferroconcrete bridge on the left replaced the ferry in 1940 after years of debate in the community as to the necessity of a permanent structure. The bridge had to incorporate an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway, and on completion was 230 metres long. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway. It was toll bridge for the first six years of its existence.

The bridge was demolished and replaced with a much larger, two-lane structure in 1991. This new bridge bypasses the village of Dornie.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Dornie Bridge & Jetty

ROSS: Kintail

1980s

jetties; bridges

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

The village of Dornie is pictured here from the jetty at Ardelve. For many years this was the site of a ferry crossing, a vital link between Lochalsh and Kintail. <br /> <br /> The ferroconcrete bridge on the left replaced the ferry in 1940 after years of debate in the community as to the necessity of a permanent structure. The bridge had to incorporate an opening span to ensure that Loch Long remained a viable waterway, and on completion was 230 metres long. It was supported by 15 reinforced concrete spans with a 40 foot clear waterway. It was toll bridge for the first six years of its existence.<br /> <br /> The bridge was demolished and replaced with a much larger, two-lane structure in 1991. This new bridge bypasses the village of Dornie.