Please Sign In | Register
Google pluspinterestShare on Stumble UponShare on RedditFacebookShare on Tumblr
TITLE
Thatched house, 12 Lower Ardelve
EXTERNAL ID
HC_PLANNING_08_030_1642
PLACENAME
Ardelve
DISTRICT
South West Ross
OLD COUNTY/PARISH
ROSS: Lochalsh
DATE OF IMAGE
29 July 1982
PERIOD
1980s
CREATOR
T. Kenneth MacKenzie
SOURCE
The Highland Council Planning Department
ASSET ID
15893
KEYWORDS
thatch
crofthouse
Donald MacKenzie
Thatched house, 12 Lower Ardelve

Donald Mackenzie stands at the door of his house at 12 Lower Ardelve in July 1982. This Grade A listed cruck-framed thatched cottage dates from about 1840 and is the last remaining example of a traditional house in Lochalsh. It is situated in Lower Ardelve close to the shores of Loch Alsh, looking across to Eilean Tioram with Eilean Donan Castle beyond. Originally thatched with heather and rushes, it was re-thatched in 1996 with rushes only, and features a rare timber 'box' chimney on the eastern gable which serves the kitchen/living room hearth. It is constructed from whitewashed rubble with rounded corners and heavy boulder footings. A corrugated iron porch protects the central front door.

For guidance on the use of images and other content, please see the Terms and Conditions page.
High Life Highland is a company limited by guarantee registered in Scotland No. SC407011 and is a registered Scottish charity No. SC042593
Powered by Capture

Thatched house, 12 Lower Ardelve

ROSS: Lochalsh

1980s

thatch; crofthouse; Donald MacKenzie

The Highland Council Planning Department

The Highland Council Planning Dept

Donald Mackenzie stands at the door of his house at 12 Lower Ardelve in July 1982. This Grade A listed cruck-framed thatched cottage dates from about 1840 and is the last remaining example of a traditional house in Lochalsh. It is situated in Lower Ardelve close to the shores of Loch Alsh, looking across to Eilean Tioram with Eilean Donan Castle beyond. Originally thatched with heather and rushes, it was re-thatched in 1996 with rushes only, and features a rare timber 'box' chimney on the eastern gable which serves the kitchen/living room hearth. It is constructed from whitewashed rubble with rounded corners and heavy boulder footings. A corrugated iron porch protects the central front door.